NWC Opening Statement
The “ACE” Model for Best-Practice Whistleblower Programs to counter corruption: Anonymity, Compensation, and Enforcement
National Whistleblower Center proposed the inclusion of proven best practices for effective anti-corruption efforts. Whistleblowers are the infantry in any effective anti-corruption program and the A.C.E. approach to structuring whistleblower programs has supercharged U.S. whistleblower programs from obscurity to global renown.
The A.C.E. approach outlines how Anonymity, Compensation, and Enforcement are the core tenets of winning whistleblower programs that effectively deter crime, incentivize whistleblowers, and increase transnational cooperation.
- ANONYMITY–Guarantee that whistleblowers can report corruption anonymously.
- COMPENSATION–Provide whistleblowers whose claims result in a successful sanction with monetary rewards consisting of 10-30% of the sanction levied.
- ENFORCEMENT–Quickly and effectively punish/sanction guilty persons/entities based on whistleblower claims, collaborating between agencies and internationally.
NWC advances the recommendation that States Parties of the U.N. Convention Against Corruption implement whistleblower programs reflective of these core tenets to secure adherence to articles 33, article 32, and article 37 of the Convention.
NWC Recorded Remarks
Coverage of NWC’s Role at CoSP:
- Approaching CoSP10, Civil Society Urges Focus on Whistleblowing
- CoSP10 Commences with Strong Statements and Resolutions on Whistleblowing
- Whistleblower Advocates Call for Best Practice Whistleblower Resolution at CoSP10
- CoSP10 Whistleblower Resolution Will Have “No Teeth” Without Financial Incentives, Advocates Warn
- UNCAC Coalition Atlanta Civil Society Declaration.
Know Your Rights! Read Rules for Whistleblowers
Kohn carefully explains complex rules and laws governing whistleblowing including the Dodd-Frank, IRS, and False Claims Acts, as well as detailed strategies for fighting retaliation and applying for rewards. He also covers controversial issues such as taping, removing documents, and ignoring nondisclosure agreements.
Order Stephen Kohn’s latest book here.
National Whistleblower Center (NWC) is the leading non-profit dedicated to protecting and rewarding whistleblowers around the world. We assist whistleblowers in finding legal aid, advocate for stronger whistleblower protection laws, and educate the public about whistleblowers’ critical role in protecting democracy and the rule of law. NWC’s work centers on developing innovative approaches and strong partnerships for supporting whistleblowers around the world and empowering them to provide essential information to help fight corruption, protect our environment, and advance human rights. NWC is deeply committed to thriving transnational anti-corruption efforts and leveraging whistleblower protections to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future throughout the Americas.