WASHINGTON, D.C. | July 15, 2022 — National Whistleblower Center (NWC) is excited to announce the general program for National Whistleblower Day 2022, which is now just 2-weeks away. This year’s program will be entirely live and online and NWC hopes for robust audience engagement, NWC will be gathering questions from the chat for live Q&A sessions throughout the program!
We are rapidly approaching July 30th, the 244th anniversary of the country’s first whistleblower law. This year NWC will celebrate with three days of live events, and we encourage the public to RSVP for updates.
This year our program will span from July 28 through 30th as follows:
Please note: All times are in Eastern, U.S. Time Zone
- Legislative (Thursday, July 28):
- 2 PM: Welcome Remarks.Featuring Siri Nelson and Stephen M. Kohn.
- 2:30 PM: Fireside Chat with House Office of the Whistleblower Ombuds.Leadership from the Office of the Whistleblower Ombuds, an independent and nonpartisan House support office, will discuss the ways in which Congress partners with whistleblowers to advance its oversight responsibilities. Featuring Staff Directors Tim Monahan and Jamie Fleet!
- 3:30 PM: Panel featuring North American Securities Administrators Association. Learn about North American Securities Administrators Association whistleblower model act and efforts of state securities regulators to encourage the passage of legislation based on NASAA’s model act. Featuring regulators from around the country!
- 5 PM: Keynote. Senator Charles Grassley, the “Champion of Whistleblowers”.
- International Whistleblowers and Whistleblower Advocates (Friday, July 29)
- 2 PM: Opening Remarks. RSVP to learn more.
- 2:30 PM: Understanding Reward Laws, Harvard Business School professors, Aiyesha Day and Jonas Heese, discuss their groundbreaking work understanding what motivates whistleblowers and the impact of reward laws on whistleblower decision making with author and whistleblower attorney Stephen Kohn.
- 3:30 PM: International Whistleblower Experiences. Moderated by Whistleblower Johannes Stefansson.Whistleblowers from around the world will discuss little known nuances of their experiences as whistleblowers outside of the United States. Featuring whistleblowers Yasmine Motarjemi and Ari Danikas.
- 5 PM: Fireside Chat with Environmental Defender Alfred Brownell.An interactive discussion about environmental whistleblowers and environmental defenders around the world.
- Advocates and Whistleblower Recognition (Saturday, July 30)
- 2 PM: The Story of National Whistleblower Day with Stephen M. Kohn.Tune in for our annual traditional of telling the story of our nations brave first whistleblowers and the important actions taken by the Congressional Congress to safeguard the integrity of democracy in the United States. Featuring FBI whistleblower Jane Turner.
- 2:30 PM: Life After Whistleblowing. Moderated by Whistleblower and Whistleblower Network News Journalist Jane Turner.Influential U.S. whistleblowers will join Jane Turner in an in-depth discussion about the impacts whistleblowing has had on their lives and families, how they have moved forward after facing retaliation, and what comes next. Featuring Sherron Watkins, Fred Whitehurst, Jackie Garrick, and Sara Thompson!
- 3:30 PM: Building on their Legacy. Moderated by Matthew Beddingfield of ZMF Law.Early Career Whistleblower Attorneys join together to discuss their role in whistleblower rights and protections and best practices learned from mentors who, together with industry changing whistleblowers, helped create the whistleblower laws we use today. Featuring David Liberman of Whistleblower Law Collaborative, LLC, and Kayla Svihovec of Kohn, Kohn and Colapinto, LLP.
- 5 PM: Keynote. Whistleblower Dr. Allison Gill,Federal Whistleblower tells the story of her whistleblowing, and what came next.
Plans for National Whistleblower Day continue to be in the works, and the best way to stay updated is to RSVP for the event. NWC is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, and this work is made possible by our generous donors. Please donate to support our annual celebration.